THE DAY is new music/dance work by cellist Maya Beiser, dancer Wendy Whelan, choreographer Lucinda Childs, with music by David Lang.
A collaboration among legends, THE DAY is an evening-long sensory exploration of two journeys—life and the eternal, post-mortal voyage of the soul. This bold, highly collaborative work explores universal themes through the shared language of music and dance.
Cellist Maya Beiser, who conceived the piece, has been described by the Boston Globe as “a force of nature” and by Rolling Stone as a “cello rock star,” and is a veteran of the world’s most revered stages. Wendy Whelan, widely considered one of the world’s leading dancers, spent 30 years as a principal dancer with New York City Ballet and originated numerous roles in new works by the world’s most esteemed choreographers. The two will be onstage all evening, embodying the iconic choreography of Lucinda Childs (a Commandeur in France’s Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and 2018 inductee in Hall of Fame at the National Museum of Dance) to the original music of Pulitzer Prize-winner David Lang.
Work in progress at the LUMBERYARD
- Performers | Wendy Whelan and Maya Beiser
- Choreography | Lucinda Childs
- Words and Music | David Lang
- Scenic design | Sara Brown
- Sound design | Dave Cook
- Projection design | Joshua Higgason
- Lighting design | Natasha Katz
- Costume design | Karen Young
- Creative producer | Maya Beiser
- Managing producer | Christina Jensen
- Production manager | Emily McGillicuddy
For booking in the Americas please contact:
Christina Jensen at email@example.com
- July 31-Aug 4: Jacob’s Pillow, Becket, MA
- October 15: Carolina Performing Arts, Chapel Hill,NC
- October 18 & 19: UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- October 22-27: The Joyce, New York, NY
- November 6: Williams Center, Easton, PA
- December 6 & 7: The Kennedy Center, Washington, DC
- January 24-26, Jan 28-Feb 1, Feb 3-6: Theatre de la Ville @ Espace Cardin, Paris, France
- February 27 & 28: San Francisco Performances,Herbst Theatre, San Francisco, CA
- April 7, 2020: The O’Shaughnessy, St. Paul, MN
- April 10 & 11, 2020: Dartmouth’s Hopkins Center for the Arts, Hanover, NH
- April 23, 24, 25, 2020: ICA Boston, Boston, MA
THE DAY was conceived by Maya Beiser.
THE DAY was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
THE DAY was co-commissioned by Théâtre de la Ville, Paris; Carolina Performing Arts at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Jacob’s Pillow; The Joyce Theater; and Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA; and was supported, in part, by the Inaugural Artist Fellowship at The Joyce Theater Foundation’s Artist Residency Center. Substantial development support was provided by LUMBERYARD Contemporary Performing Arts and Summer Stages Dance @ ICA/Boston, with additional support from Baryshnikov Arts Center. THE DAY was supported in part by a Fay Chandler Faculty Creativity Grant from the MIT Center for Art, Science & Technology.